In California, recent updates to tenant protection laws have introduced substantial changes impacting both landlords and tenants. Let’s delve into the key aspects of these legislative changes. If additional questions arise, don’t hesitate to contact RentSimpli here.
- Extended Notice Periods: California now mandates a 90-day notice period for terminating a month-to-month tenancy, up from the previous 60 days. This elongated notice period is a significant alteration offering tenants more time to secure alternative housing options.
- Tenant Relocation Assistance: In cases of “no-fault” evictions, landlords are required to provide financial assistance to tenants to offset relocation costs. This crucial tenant protection measure aims to safeguard against unexpected and unjust evictions.
- Just Cause Eviction Protections: The legislation outlines specific circumstances that allow landlords to terminate a tenancy, including non-payment of rent, lease agreement violations, and more. This provision enhances tenant security against arbitrary evictions.
- Rental Price Caps: Rent control measures have been implemented in select areas of California, imposing limits on the rent increases for existing tenants. To comply with local regulations, landlords need to stay informed about specific price cap requirements.
- Tenant Screening Regulations: Landlords must adhere to more stringent guidelines when screening potential tenants. This ensures that the process remains equitable and non-discriminatory, offering equal opportunities to all applicants.
- Limit on Application Fees: The new legislation also imposes restrictions on application fees, preventing excessive charges that could pose a financial burden on prospective tenants.
It is imperative for both landlords and tenants to become well-acquainted with these changes to ensure compliance and stay informed. While these laws primarily offer tenant protection, they also introduce new responsibilities for landlords. Staying updated with the latest regulations is essential for a seamless and lawful rental experience in California.
At RentSimpli, we’re here to help guide you through the process.